By using our website you agree to our use of cookies - read more...

Equity Release/Immediate Care Plan

Equity Release/Immediate Care Plan

How can I raise capital to meet my care fees but stay in my own home?

Client Circumstances:

  • Mr Thomas is an 84 year old widower.
  • Requires additional income of £10,000 pa to pay for care fees.
  • Has property valued at £180,000.
  • Has savings of £10,000.
  • Does not wish to see savings eroded.
  • Wants to stay in own home and not go in to Care Home.
  • Does not have a Power of Attorney.

Recommended Solutions:

  • Ask Local Authority to carry out a care assessment.
  • Equity Release for £40,000 (Lifetime mortgage).
  • Purchase Immediate Care Plan for £40,000 to pay for care fees.
  • Leave savings of £10,000 for emergency funds.
  • Contact solicitor to have a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) made.
  • Make sure Will is up to date.

Benefits from advice given:

  • Receives additional £2,831.40pa (lower rate Attendance Allowance) by having the assessment.
  • Able to stay in own home.
  • Provides ongoing independence.
  • £7,600 pa Income from care plan paid directly to Care agency tax free.
  • Should Mr Thomas need to go into Care Home, house can be sold to pay off Lifetime mortgage and remainder of capital used to top up the Immediate Care Plan if required.
  • Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) provides someone with authority to handle another person’s affairs.

Talk to us now!

Call us on either - Colchester: 01206 838400 / Ipswich: 01473 259201 or

Future Servicing

We will look to carry out a regular review of your circumstances, objectives, needs and portfolio performance to ensure all arrangements continue to be suitable and advise of any changes that may be appropriate.

This example is for illustrative purposes only, based on current legislation and tax allowances. Tax rules and regulations are subject to change.

Budget Planner

Our internal complaints handling procedures for the reasonable and prompt handling of complaints is available on request and if you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service or by contacting them on 0800 023 4567.

Alternatively, where your complaint relates to products or services purchased online, or by other electronic means such as by email, you may refer your complaint to the online dispute resolution (ODR) platform at