By using our website you agree to our use of cookies - read more...

Sell and Invest 2 to 3 Years

Sell and Invest  2 to 3 Years

By setting aside sufficient capital to pay for care fees, the remainder of capital can be invested, to pass on to family.

Client Circumstances:

  • Mrs Nichols aged 89 has suffered a serious stroke and is due to be sent to a nursing home from hospital.
  • Her prognosis is not good and she was given a life expectancy of 2-3 years.
  • Her 2 daughters have Power of Attorney and this has been registered.
  • Her daughters are in the process of selling the home for £320,000.
  • She has little other savings and modest income of £12,000 pa.
  • Local authority will use her income apart from £24.40pw to help fund care fees.
  • Property value will be excluded for a period of 12 weeks.
  • After discussing with daughters and providing Mrs Nichols receives good care, protecting her estate is important.

Recommended Solutions:

  • Check if eligible to receive NHS continuing healthcare.
  • When property sold sufficient capital held on deposit to cover 2-3 years of care fees.
  • Remainder of capital to be invested in a suitable short term investment and used to top up deposit fund each year to fund care fees.

Benefits from advice given:

  • If NHS continuing healthcare approved, care will be provided by the local authority.
  • Although we can never be sure of life expectancy, a Care Annuity in this case would not seem suitable.
  • By setting aside sufficient capital to cover 2-3 years of care fees, remainder of capital can pass to family or be used to help pay for care fees, if Mrs Nichols survives longer.

Talk to us now!

Call us on either - Colchester: 01206 838400 / Ipswich: 01473 259201 or

Future Servicing

We will look to carry out a regular review of your circumstances, objectives, needs and portfolio performance to ensure all arrangements continue to be suitable and advise of any changes that may be appropriate.

This example is for illustrative purposes only, based on current legislation and tax allowances. Tax rules and regulations are subject to change.

Budget Planner

Our internal complaints handling procedures for the reasonable and prompt handling of complaints is available on request and if you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service or by contacting them on 0800 023 4567.

Alternatively, where your complaint relates to products or services purchased online, or by other electronic means such as by email, you may refer your complaint to the online dispute resolution (ODR) platform at