By using our website you agree to our use of cookies - read more...

Sheltered Accommodation

Sheltered Accommodation

How can I meet increased care costs and downsize from my large home to more manageable sheltered accommodation?

Client Circumstances:

  • Mr Rogers is 88 years old and does not need nursing care yet, but does need someone to help with general activities of daily life.
  • He has a large 4 bedroom house which is becoming too much for him and is looking to move into sheltered accommodation.
  • Once his State and other pensions are taken into account, there will be a shortfall to pay for care fees of £15,000 pa.
  • He is expecting to have £180k of capital from sale of property and concerned that the capital will be eroded over time.

Recommended Solutions:

  • Ask Local Authority to carry out a care assessment.
  • Once house has been sold purchase Immediate Care Plan for £60k to cover shortfall for care fees.
  • Hold £36,000 on deposit to cover for emergency/rainy day.
  • Suitable investment with remainder of capital for growth.
  • Ensure have Lasting Power of Attorney in place (LPA).
  • Make sure Will is up to date.

Benefits from advice given:

  • Receives additional £2,831.40pa (lower rate Attendance Allowance) by having the assessment.
  • Income from Care Plan paid directly to care agency tax free.
  • Care annuity pays £12,500 pa increasing by 5% for life.
  • If Mr Rogers’ care needs increase substantially, can use some of his capital to top-up care annuity.
  • Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) provides someone with authority to handle another person’s affairs.

Talk to us now!

Call us on either - Colchester: 01206 838400 / Ipswich: 01473 259201 or

Future Servicing

We will look to carry out a regular review of your circumstances, objectives, needs and portfolio performance to ensure all arrangements continue to be suitable and advise of any changes that may be appropriate.

This example is for illustrative purposes only, based on current legislation and tax allowances. Tax rules and regulations are subject to change.

Budget Planner

Our internal complaints handling procedures for the reasonable and prompt handling of complaints is available on request and if you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service or by contacting them on 0800 023 4567.

Alternatively, where your complaint relates to products or services purchased online, or by other electronic means such as by email, you may refer your complaint to the online dispute resolution (ODR) platform at