By using our website you agree to our use of cookies - read more...

Income from Lump Sum on Divorce

Income from Lump Sum on Divorce

I need to invest my settlement from my divorce to provide an income for life

Client Circumstances

  • Mrs Hewes is aged 46
  • She has a son aged 18
  • She has no income and is not working
  • She has a lump sum due from her divorce of £775,000
  • She has a house with no mortgage
  • She requires an income of £18,000 pa

Recommended Solutions

  • Assumptions are made and calculations undertaken
  • A lifetime cash flow Financial Plan is prepared
  • Mrs Hewes’ attitude to risk is verified
  • An investment strategy is prepared
  • An emergency fund provision is set aside
  • A portfolio of investments is arranged (including ISA allowances)
  • A low cost passive investment strategy via a Wrap account is used
  • Review/arrange Wills and Power of Attorney
  • Review potential Inheritance Tax liability

Benefits from advice given

  • An emergency reserve “pot” is established
  • Agreed investment strategy to meet her objectives
  • A sustainable regular income is arranged to meet expenditure
  • Investments are diversified using an appropriate asset allocation strategy for her attitude to risk
  • The portfolio is arranged with Scrutton Bland
  • Her portfolio will be reviewed and rebalanced 6-monthly by Scrutton Bland
  • Advice is obtained from a Resolution accredited specialist adviser
  • State pension “substitution” is undertaken via Scrutton Bland

Talk to us now!

Call us on either - Colchester: 01206 838400 / Ipswich: 01473 259201 or

Future Servicing

We will look to carry out a regular review of your circumstances, objectives, needs and portfolio performance to ensure all arrangements continue to be suitable and advise of any changes that may be appropriate.

This example is for illustrative purposes only, based on current legislation and tax allowances. Tax rules and regulations are subject to change.

Budget Planner

Our internal complaints handling procedures for the reasonable and prompt handling of complaints is available on request and if you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service or by contacting them on 0800 023 4567.

Alternatively, where your complaint relates to products or services purchased online, or by other electronic means such as by email, you may refer your complaint to the online dispute resolution (ODR) platform at