By using our website you agree to our use of cookies - read more...

Uniformed Services - Income Gap Syndrome

Uniformed Services - Income Gap Syndrome

I am divorcing and wish to split my Police pension fairly with my wife but both of the normal options are very unsatisfactory, or seem unfair. Is there another way?

Client Circumstances

  • Mr and Mrs Coward, both aged 57
  • Divorcing
  • Agreed settlement of all financial assets except pensions
  • Want to equalise income in retirement
  • Mr Coward retired police officer, pension in payment £20,000 pa net
  • Mrs Coward, housewife with no other income
  • Would like to achieve a clean break

Various Solutions

(None really satisfactory)

1 - Attachment Order

  • Mr Coward qualifies for full pension, but 50% of net paid to Mrs Coward (£10,000 pa each)
  • No clean break
  • Ceases on Mr Coward’s death (suitable life cover very expensive)
  • Ceases on Mrs Coward’s remarriage

2 - Pension Sharing Order

  • 50% pension transferred into Mrs Coward’s name
  • Mr Coward’s income immediately reduced to £10,000 pa
  • Mrs Coward cannot draw her pension until age 60
  • Mr Coward needs to pay maintenance to Mrs Coward for 3 years from reduced income or pay more cash to compensate
  • No clean break for 3 years
  • No clean break for 8 years Order of 40% Pension 3

Recommended Solutions

  • Defer Decree Absolute until Mrs Coward age 60 (3 years)
  • Mr Coward continues on full pension
  • Agree maintenance payment of 50% net pension income for three years
  • Agree to apply PSO at Mrs Coward’s age 60
  • Agree apply for Decree Absolute in 3 years
  • Consider entitlement to on-going Spouse’s benefit and/or life cover

Benefits from advice given

(Still not ideal)

  • Avoids income Gap Syndrome
  • Maintains total joint income of £20,000 (£10,000 pa each) for next 3 years
  • PSO implemented in 3 years - both have approximately £10,000 pa pension in own right
  • Clean break achieved in 3 years
  • Advice is obtained from a Resolution accredited specialist adviser
  • State pension “substitution” is undertaken via Scrutton Bland

Talk to us now!

Call us on either - Colchester: 01206 838400 / Ipswich: 01473 259201 or

Future Servicing

We will look to carry out a regular review of your circumstances, objectives, needs and portfolio performance to ensure all arrangements continue to be suitable and advise of any changes that may be appropriate.

This example is for illustrative purposes only, based on current legislation and tax allowances. Tax rules and regulations are subject to change.

Budget Planner

Our internal complaints handling procedures for the reasonable and prompt handling of complaints is available on request and if you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service or by contacting them on 0800 023 4567.

Alternatively, where your complaint relates to products or services purchased online, or by other electronic means such as by email, you may refer your complaint to the online dispute resolution (ODR) platform at