By using our website you agree to our use of cookies - read more...

The Inheritor

The Inheritor

How can I protect my financial security and that of my daughter who is facing a potential divorce?

Client Circumstances

  • Mrs Reeve, 63, is an only child and a widow
  • She has 1 daughter, in a rocky marriage
  • She has significant investments and capital
  • She has significant income from pensions and investments
  • She does not require further income
  • Inheritance Tax (IHT) is already a problem for her
  • She has inherited £600,000 from her late mother

Recommended Solutions

  • Mrs Reeve completes a Deed of Variation on her mother’s Will
  • Redirects inheritance to a Discretionary Trust
  • Beneficiaries of trust are Mrs Reeve and her daughter
  • Mrs Reeve invests capital in trust in diversified, tax efficient portfolio, with minimum tax reporting and Trustee involvement
  • Produces an “income” flow from Trust to daughter

Benefits from advice given

  • Avoids inheritance forming part of Mrs Reeve’s estate
  • IHT savings £240,000
  • Capital invested in a simplified environment with potential for growth and income
  • Provides financial security for daughter
  • Safeguards inheritance in the event of daughter divorcing
  • Mrs Reeve could still benefit if needed
  • Provides additional tax efficient “income” flow for daughter up to £30,000 pa
  • Daughter can fund pension from additional “income” flow
  • Investments can be assigned to daughter if/when domestic position is resolved

Talk to us now!

Call us on either - Colchester: 01206 838400 / Ipswich: 01473 259201 or

Future Servicing

We will look to carry out a regular review of your circumstances, objectives, needs and portfolio performance to ensure all arrangements continue to be suitable and advise of any changes that may be appropriate.

This example is for illustrative purposes only, based on current legislation and tax allowances. Tax rules and regulations are subject to change.

Budget Planner Money Health Check

Our internal complaints handling procedures for the reasonable and prompt handling of complaints is available on request and if you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service or by contacting them on 0800 023 4567.

Alternatively, where your complaint relates to products or services purchased online, or by other electronic means such as by email, you may refer your complaint to the online dispute resolution (ODR) platform at