By using our website you agree to our use of cookies - read more...

Trading Down Property Owner

Trading Down Property Owner

How can we produce additional income and go on a world cruise?

Client Circumstances

  • Mr and Mrs Oates are both retired
  • They are both in their 70’s and in good health
  • Income £22,000 pa Expenditure £26,000 pa
  • Savings nearly exhausted £15,000
  • Property with land £600,000 (mortgage free)
  • Property becoming a burden to keep
  • No Investments
  • Would like to go on a world cruise while they are still both in good health

Recommended Solutions

  • Sell property and trade down to smaller property
  • Release £250,000 of equity
  • Top up cash reserve to £30,000
  • World cruise £20,000
  • Investment portfolio £215,000 to produce additional income
  • Maximise ISAs, husband and wife – now and annually from portfolio
  • Diversify the funds over a spread of four broad asset classes (UK Equity, Overseas Equity, Commercial Property and Fixed Interest).

Benefits from advice given

  • Smaller property – reduced annual expenditure
  • Investment Portfolio to produce approximately 3% pa additional income (£6,450 pa)
  • Able to have their world cruise, while they are still both in good health
  • Increased future financial security with more cash/Investment
  • Capital invested in a simplified environment with potential for growth and income
  • Less paperwork
  • Lower charges

Talk to us now!

Call us on either - Colchester: 01206 838400 / Ipswich: 01473 259201 or

Future Servicing

We will look to carry out a regular review of your circumstances, objectives, needs and portfolio performance to ensure all arrangements continue to be suitable and advise of any changes that may be appropriate.

This example is for illustrative purposes only, based on current legislation and tax allowances. Tax rules and regulations are subject to change.

Budget Planner Money Health Check

Our internal complaints handling procedures for the reasonable and prompt handling of complaints is available on request and if you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service or by contacting them on 0800 023 4567.

Alternatively, where your complaint relates to products or services purchased online, or by other electronic means such as by email, you may refer your complaint to the online dispute resolution (ODR) platform at